Steigen, a hidden gem in Northern Norway?
Steigen tunnel opened in 1990 making easy access to Steigen by road, previously ferry was only transport.
Express boat from Bodø and Svolvær is an alternate if you want to stay within a limited area. You will find departure times on entur.no, the Norweigan travel planner.
Public bus transport is very limited within the municipality. Main roads are black top but some parts are very narrow and bumpy. Take your time and watch the beatiful landscape.
There are many activities available. Walking hikes are presented on information boards several places in Steigen. One is placed at Tømmerneset parking lot by the rock art site in Sagelva.
Fishing is a very popular activity, boats are available several places.
In August 2020 we did stay at Helnessund Brygger, in room 302. Room 302 is a small apartment, two rooms, kitchen and a shower. Very basic accommodation, it is only for sleeping. But on the plus side rooms in this building has access to a nice terrace.
There are several places to stay in Steigen.
- Helnessund Brygger, Helnessund: https://www.helnessund.com/
- Steigen Sjøhus, (Røssøya) Engeløya: https://steigenferie.no/
- Steigen Brygge, near Steigen Sjøhus Engeløya: https://www.steigenbrygge.no/index.html
- Nordskot Brygge, Nordskot: http://nordskotbrygge.no/
- Steigen Vertshus, Leinesfjord: http://www.steigenvertshus.no/
- Naustvik Camping, Leinesfjord.
More information on this website (Norwegian language)